Everyone wants to get selected for job interviews..
Follow the 30 golden rules for success at Interviews, and you can be a winner.
- Remember searching and applying for jobs is an important task and it can be time consuming for you as well.
Before applying for jobs, make Sure that you are 100% convinced that you are seriously interested in “job opportunities” and that you are fully prepared to do the job, in case you get selected. Otherwise it’s better not to start applying.
Ask yourself the following three questions–
- Why you want to apply for Jobs?
(Tip: there must be tangible reason/s for you to start searching for jobs.)
- Which type of jobs do you want to apply for?
(Tip: You should either know or find out about the type of industry/sector and job role you want to apply for)
- When/how soon can you join, if selected for a job?
(Tip: Most of the job opportunities require the Candidate to join immediately or as early as possible, find out if you are prepared for the same)
If you have convincing/affirmative answers to the above questions, you are ready to start applying for jobs.
- Know that, successful Candidates are those, whose CV is liked by the interviewer.
Tip: You must be prepared to customize your CV as per the requirements of each job opportunity. Your CV should have all the relevant information about you and it must be well made and easily readable (for more information about it you can read our other blogs on how to prepare a good CV).
- Before applying, Self-Introspect to find out whether you fully fit the job requirements
Tip: it is better to apply for a job opportunity if you fully fit to its job requirements, like desired qualification, required minimum experience, place of work Etc.
- Remember you will succeed if your attitude matches with the required attitude of an eligible Candidate.
Tip: Before applying ,try to find out, through your sources / internet, more about the type of candidate suitable for the particular job role to which you are applying, so that you can find out if you already have or if you can try and develop the correct attitude required for matching the attitude for that particular type of role.
- Remember to be neat and tidy, well dressed and well groomed.
Tip: You must be elegant and presentable during the interview.
- Practice matching your body language with your spoken words, before the interview.
Tip: you can use the mirror or you can take the help of a friend to find out whether you are using correct body language and matching the same with your spoken words.
Interviewers keenly observe the body language of a candidate and it is important for you to know that your body language mostly speaks the truth about you.
- Half the battle is won, when you respect the interviewer and wish the interviewer appropriately at the start and at the end of the interview.
Tip: exchanging pleasantries, with utmost humility at your disposal will help your cause.
- Be honest and truthful and avoid prevarication.
Tip: remember this powerful proverb… “Honesty is the best policy”.
- Convey the message that: you are willing to learn and improve.
Tip: if you do not know the answer to any question, or if you are unable to solve a problem, please convey the message humbly and emphatically to the interviewer that you are fully prepared to learn, improve and implement it, if required.
- Convey to the interviewer that you have patience, perseverance and tenacity.
Tip: interview process in the corporate sector mostly includes many rounds of interviews and/or online exams, written tests etc.
During the process of selection, it helps if you are readily willing to wait for your turn even if the wait is longer or if you happily agree when you are called for interview more number of times . Your positive response to such situations will support your cause. Interviewers will gauge your patience, perseverance and test your tenacity by observing your response to such situations.
- Ensure that you are flexible with your timings and working hours
Tip: Candidates with adjustable timings/working hours are always preferred.
- You agree to transfer to any different location as per the requirement of the company
Tip: If the job requires mobility, then companies will always prefer to select candidates who are willing to work at different locations, it is better if you find this out before you apply for that particular job.
- Convey that you want the job for learning and for career growth and not solely for financial gains / salary.
Tip: Never over-emphasize on salary or remuneration during the interview.
- Introduce yourself properly with a minimum 2-3 minutes of introduction.
Tip: when you are asked to introduce yourself, do so with full confidence, you should be able to fully and meticulously speak about yourself. You must prepare in advance an introduction for yourself.
- Know that you have a very good smile, and you can keep it during the interview.
Tip: Keeping a subtle Smile will help.
- Remember to be well organized and fully prepared before the interview.
Tip: The day before the interview, keep in place all the things that will be required for the interview including the dress that you are going to wear. Always present yourself in an interview with all the necessary documents.
- Know how to understand the motive behind every question asked to you.
Tip: interviewers may many times ask questions to find out about your attitude towards certain situations or to gauge how you respond during extraordinary occasions. It is always good to give affirmative or positive answers to such questions. If you are able to find out the real motive behind the question, you can give a good positive reply.
- Avoid being “Extraordinary”
Tip: the term extraordinary here means the candidates who are other than normal. For example- candidates with strange behavior, Candidates who reply with peculiar answers, who are unwell /highly overconfident/unfocused…etc…
- Understand that Interview process is not a platform for training and development.
Tip: Not knowing this is one of the common mistakes done by candidates who apply for a job for the first time. Please be clear about the fact that the process of interview is only to gauge the eligibility and suitability of the candidate for a particular job. Interview is not a training class or learning session.
- Study and practice so that you have the required knowledge and skills.
- During the interview, If you don’t understand a question , ask for clarification.
Tip. Before you reply to any question, It is good to patiently listen to the full question and,to clarify any doubts if you do not understand it.
- It helps If you are a good listener and fully attentive during the interview process
Tip: It is good to speak only when asked to and to pay full attention to what is said.
- A job search can be hard work and involve frustrations; don’t exhibit frustrations or a negative attitude in an interview.
Tip: Giving interviews is a learning process, both failure and success are a part of it. During every Interview portray only your best attitude and good behavior and ensure not to display negative emotions and frustrations.
- It helps if you are able to convey that you are disciplined and focused
Tip: giving short and affirmative answers with positive replies will help.
- Control your emotions during the interview.
Tip: put extra efforts to manage your emotions during the process of interview. Any extraordinary behavior/gesture on your part will not be appreciated.
- It helps if you are able to say good words about previous employer/s
Tip: Always show good previous experiences in your CV.
- It helps if you are tech-savvy, with knowledge of latest technologies.
- Remember to be humble and polite and to keep your Ego in control
Tip: Strictly avoid challenging, contesting or loudly speaking during the interview
- During Interview, avoid debating and quarreling.
- Punctuality is a compulsory attribute.
Tip: Avoid being late for the interview, but in case if you are late ,always apologize. Never give reasons for being late.
FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS…
WE WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SUPPORT YOU IN GETTING A GOOD JOB.
To read more Interview related articles read our blog in future or visit us at www.cksharma.com